Sunday, July 12, 2009

Last Call



On Tuesday, we said our final farewell to my dad. It was a beautiful service. Eleanor did a terrific job organizing and putting everything together. At the front of the chapel was a lovely display with a couple of pictures of my dad - the one on the left was blown up from a thumbprint size photo. John, Eleanor's son, did an amazing job making it into a good size picture. I'm hoping I can get a copy...
Eleanor is the lady on the left and my aunt Shirley is on the right in the lovely purple jacket.
I got to meet my cousins, Mark and Victor. Victor was a little abrupt, but he was also riding herd on his 2 year old son, so he barely said "hello" and that was the last I saw of him. Mark was a little more friendly, and at the end of the reception I approached him and we chatted a bit. Nice guy. Hope to see him again. He was off to Scotland last Thursday for work. He has one of those globe-trotting jobs where he does prep work for oil rigs by doing underwater mapping. He's a diving kinda guy. Spent his 20 in the Navy and just can't stay on land, I guess.
All in all, it was lovely. I cried alot more than I thought I would, and am still a little misty around the edges. But a fitting tribute.

No comments: